DIY Coconut Oil Hair Treatment
Fatty acids like lauric acid and linoleic acids in addition to Vitamin E, are all present in coconut oil and are ingredients that help prevent hair’s protein loss so that it has more strength and less breakage occurs. Coconut oil is 100% natural which means it is free of drying alcohol, silicones and other chemicals that usually do more harm than good and is comparable (if not better) than highly-formulated treatments. Unlike other hair oils that just coat strands and sits on the hair, coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft, past the cuticle, and truly repair and restore damage from the source.
See 6 reasons why you should be using coconut oil for hair.
- Adding Shine: Control flyaways and tame frizz by running your hands through your hair with a small amount of coconut oil. It will help smooth out strands without a greasy or oily finish.
- Promote Growth: When massaged onto the scalp, coconut oil will improve blood circulation that supports hair growth. Using gentle pressure, try this 3 to 4 times a week to help prevent hair loss, too.
- Conditioning: For a deep conditioning treatment without harsh chemicals apply a generous amount of coconut oil for hair from roots to ends before bed. Then comb it and then tie into a loose bun and sleep with it overnight.
- Dandruff Control: Given its antimicrobial nature, coconut oil makes a good anti-dandruff treatment. Simply massage a small amount onto the scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes before shampooing it out.
- Split Ends: If you’re in between haircuts and need a quick split-end-saver, applying coconut oil on your ends will help hydrate them and reduce the appearance of splits.
- Detangling: Apply oil mid-shaft to ends on wet hair post-showering and use it as a detangler that also doubles as a moisturizer for your locks.
NB• coconut oil works on both natural and permed hair.